Subsurface 4.7 / 5.0

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Jan 20 10:29:21 PST 2017

On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 01:03:06PM -0500, Hartley Horwitz wrote:

> Unfortunately I'm not a coder, but in my experience keeping the
> code easily maintainable is critical, particularly for a volunteer based
> program.  If moving to Subsurface 5 results in a more unified environment
> for desktop and mobile, then that seems like a great improvement for those
> who maintain this fantastic tool.  I'm all for keeping those guys sane
> because my contributions are so limited.

Contributions can be many things. Translations. Documentation. Artwork.
Proof-reading things. Finding bugs. Helping to figure out the right use
cases.

But I'll repeat my one caveat here. If "unification" meant that we use the
infrastructure and tools that most of the developers use on both desktop
and mobile, I'd be all over that.

But the "unification" that Tomaz is proposing appears to push us more and
more into the code that no one is comfortable working on - often not even
Tomaz himself.

That's what we have today. No one is working on the QML code. Joakim has
tried a few times. I have killed myself over it. Sebas and Notmart were
gracious enough to help us get started, but they are focused on other
projects.

We have several key developers who are somewhere between "HATE C++" and
"rather write C code". The more we move to C++, the more we lose their
support.