Subsurface 4.7 / 5.0

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Fri Jan 20 10:43:12 PST 2017

Hi,

> On 20 Jan 2017, at 19:29, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>
> We have several key developers who are somewhere between "HATE C++" and
> "rather write C code". The more we move to C++, the more we lose their
> support.

I would love to help move the mobile version forward and if I could do that while moving the whole project forward I am all for it. But as Dirk writes, my previous attempts were very limited in success: My main obstacle is that the initial investment is quite high: In the desktop version, I can do something productive with just 30min of time.

But for the mobile version, I am not at that stage. Whenever I tried, it took me several hours to just setup my system to be able to build a binary that runs. And often enough not even that. At that point, I love done zero productive work, because it took me so long to just reproduce what others already did. And then, if I leave it for some time, the underlying things changed so I typically have to start all over to figure out what is not working for me.

If we manage to get around this problem, I promise I will produce useful code for the mobile version (which I would love to see improving). But the current model does not work for me and I agree with the Dirkhh that it would be a total nightmare to adopt the desktop version to this model.

I would say, right now, we have a bit of time. I am willing to invest some time into the mobile version again (in case I get the impression i can contribute). If we overcome these problems for good, then it might be worthwhile to unite the codebase even more. But let’s prove we can do that first.

As an alternative for somebody who wants to tackle a project of more than trivial size: Currently, our profile code can handle only a single dive (or dive computer if you like). There are several things one could do if one could overlay several profiles. But allowing this requires some work. This might be a project for somebody who is looking for a challenging project…

Just my $.02
Robert