Website Ideas

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Jan 20 22:44:12 PST 2017

On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 12:30:02AM -0600, Federico Masias wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been poking around the website some, and have come up with the
> following list of things that might be good to add/change:
>
>    - Re-Organize/Add to the FAQs

Certainly

>    - Removing "Contributing to Subsurface" from the Documentation page and
>    making it its own page, featuring info about developing, user
>    documentation, and translations

OK. I didn't want to have too many top level pages, but I'm OK with that

>    - Creating a new video tutorial -- the current one is of version 4.0 and
>    much has changed. (i.e. Package managers instead of Appimages, a new
>    website, and new tabs amongst others. Also, there's some nonsense about
>    metric being superior to imperial ;-) )

Wouldn't call that nonsense, especially not with Linus reading your email
as he might expose you to hiis opinions on the wisdom of tank sizes and
imperial measurements... :-)

That said, I'm incredibly grateful that we have the tutorial - that's a
lot of work. If you are willing to do a new one, MORE POWER TO YOU!!!

>    - Adding a "Quick Start" page -- basically a tl;dr of the User Manual
>    meant to get people engaged quickly. If a new video is made, this might
>    even be a text version of the same presentation

Great idea.

>    - Reorganize the main menu. This one is debatable, but something about
>    the current order just seems off to me.

Always opppen to suggestions for this

>    - Feature the mobile app more prominently. Currently, the only mention
>    of it I see is the user manual on the Documentation page -- it's not on the
>    front page, in downloads, or in the list of supported OSes.

Also a good idea.

> Do any of these seem like they're more important than others? I know the
> mobile app is up for debate/having issues right now, so I'd imagine that
> last one wouldn't be until after a decision has been reached on that. Are
> any totally unnecessary?

Thosee who've been around a little longer have seen me go on these rants
when I get frustrated. Yes, I do not like the fact that there are very few
contributions to the mobile app. And I believe (as Robert said) that the
learning curve is WAY, WAY WAY too steep.  That's why I spent two thirds
of my free time today trying tto make it easier for people to get started
with the Android app (as far as development goes). I cannot do this by
myself, but I will certainly keep trying. And ranting about things in the
meantime :-/

So as for priorities... start with the FAQ?  Then Video + QuickStart.
And then the mobile app, hoping that by then we have a new version out
that actually works...

Thanks for volunteering to help!