Subsurface 4.7 / 5.0

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Jan 21 14:52:09 PST 2017

> On Jan 21, 2017, at 2:25 PM, Robert Helling <helling at atdotde.de> wrote:
>
> Dirk,
>
>> On 21 Jan 2017, at 23:21, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org <mailto:dirk at hohndel.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Here's my plan for right now. Fix things so we go back to Kirigami 1.
>
> remind me: Didn’t we run into some problems („bugs“) in Kirigami for which by sticking with an old version we give up any hope of them ever being fixed? Not that I tried too hard myself (and having no idea what the differences between 1 and 2 are besides the numbers).

There are tons of bugs in Kirigami. As in TONS. That said, who believes that any of them will get fixed in Kirigami 2? I see no indication of that.

In the meantime, to explain the difference... it's a little more than just the version number. Kirigami 2 is based on Components.2 instead of Components. Which means that pretty much every single class that we have used, every graphical element has changed. It's a complete API break. And the documentation of what needs to get done to port things is "it's not hard to port". Seriously.
I have yet to find anything that gives you even the faintest instructions.

What I have figured out so far by looking at the crash logs is this:
- no more styles
- no more control object for buttons
- no more ScrollView
- opened turns into sheetOpen
- no more Action
- ComboBox is completely changed
- TableView appears gone
I spent about 15 hours on that and the result is an app that doesn't work. It doesn't open the keyboard when you tap on an input field. None of the ComboBoxes work. All of our model handling code is broken. It makes me want to cry if I think how much time I have spent on this.

To call this a complete disaster would be way too kind to the Kirigami developers. I know that Marco and Sebastian used to be on this mailing list (I doubt they still are, haven't heard from them in months), but given that we were their poster child first application I feel completely abandoned and kicked to the floor.