Subsurface 4.7 / 5.0

Anton Lundin glance at acc.umu.se
Sun Jan 22 06:16:36 PST 2017

On 21 January, 2017 - Dirk Hohndel wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 12:01:40PM +0100, Anton Lundin wrote:
> >
> > I'm still tempted to revive the branch where I bult subsurface-core as a
> > library with jni wrappers and build a UI in Android native java.
> >
> > There are enough competence and tutorials out there so almost anyone can
> > hack on a Android java app, and the "core" parts of subsurface, we
> > already know.
>
> I am very open to that at this point. The reason to go with QML was the
> sales pitch that this would be much easier and there would be much more
> code reuse. That is clearly not what happend. instead massive changes were
> pushed into Subsurface itself that kept disrupting the development of the
> desktop app, in order to make progress for -mobile. And while I have
> slowly gotten to theee point where I was able to make sense of QML code
> (and I think a major chunk of the mobile app was by now written by me),
> not a lot of others have been successful with this.
>
> The downside is that I speak even less Java than I speak QML - so this
> approach will put me in a spot I'm rather uncomfortable with in that I
> will have to even more rely on others to do the work and fix bugs. But to
> be honest, I find it extremely unlikely that this will be worse than what
> we have now.
>
> > > Instead, work on fixing the things in Subsurface that are broken,
> > > incomplete, or missing. Divesite handling. Statistics. Etc. And add things
> > > that matter to people, like support for Bluetooth LE which we will need
> > > for a number of new dive computers, starting with the Shearwater Perdix AI
> > > that I should receive today and which you can only talk to via BTLE.
> >
> > Awesome!
>
> > As far as I've understood, the actual protocol is the same (or at least,
> > the Perdix AI supports the Petrel protocol), its just the transport
> > thats different.
>
> I have yet to hear back from Shearwater regarding the transport mechanism.
> BTLE is not related to BT at all. The shared name is nothing but
> marketing. So this will also require quite a bit of work.
>
> > Would be interesting to try to get the AI-data out of it to.
>
> That is of course the goal. But without being able to talk to it, that's
> not going to happen.

Yea, BTLE is a different thing, but as far as I've understood from a
discussion on the libdivecomputer list back in the shift Nov/Dec, its
just using the same protocoll over something like:
http://www.stollmann.de/en/software/bluetooth-bluetooth-low-energy/terminal-io-profile.html

(The conversation was with the folks who make
http://moremobilesoftware.com/DiveLog/ ,
http://libdivecomputer.org/pipermail/devel/2016-November/thread.html /
http://libdivecomputer.org/pipermail/devel/2016-December/thread.html )

//Anton