Subsurface 4.7 / 5.0

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 09:54:58 PST 2017

On Saturday 21 January 2017, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> > On Jan 21, 2017, at 2:25 PM, Robert Helling <helling at atdotde.de> wrote:
> >
> > Dirk,
> >
> >> On 21 Jan 2017, at 23:21, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org
> >> <mailto:dirk at hohndel.org>> wrote:
> >>
> >> Here's my plan for right now. Fix things so we go back to Kirigami 1.
> >
> > remind me: Didn’t we run into some problems („bugs“) in Kirigami for
> > which by sticking with an old version we give up any hope of them ever
> > being fixed? Not that I tried too hard myself (and having no idea what
> > the differences between 1 and 2 are besides the numbers).
>
> There are tons of bugs in Kirigami. As in TONS. That said, who believes
> that any of them will get fixed in Kirigami 2? I see no indication of
> that.

have them been reported somewhere?
i didn't hear feedback from subsurface in the last few months (we have a
bugzilla tracker on bugs.kde.org, product kirigami)
https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=CONFIRMED&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&list_id=1417206&product=kirigami&query_format=advanced

> In the meantime, to explain the difference... it's a little more than just
> the version number. Kirigami 2 is based on Components.2 instead of
> Components. Which means that pretty much every single class that we have
> used, every graphical element has changed. It's a complete API break. And

api changes in kirigami itself are kept to a minimum, in particular those
properties or signals that name would conflict with something implemented in
the base QQC2 class.
I doubt porting the whole application to kirigami2 and qtquickcontrols2 in one
go would be the way to go as would be indeed an huge undertaking, but should
be perfectly fine to mix things together.
I think, if one wants it to be ported to kirigami2, this should happen at a
separate step, and none of the qtquickcontrols1 usage be touched yet.

And then if one wants to port the qtquickcontrols usage as well, that should
happen gradually, like one file at a time.

> the documentation of what needs to get done to port things is "it's not
> hard to port". Seriously. I have yet to find anything that gives you even
> the faintest instructions.

there are those few api changes (opened->sheetOpen should be the only real
user facing change in our code, other api change but minimal may have come
from rebasing classes to things coming from qtquickcontrols2)
in general, is not much more than a search and replace of import
org.kde.kirigami 1.0 into org.kde.kirigami 2.0

> What I have figured out so far by looking at the crash logs is this:
> - no more styles
> - no more control object for buttons
> - no more ScrollView
> - opened turns into sheetOpen
> - no more Action
> - ComboBox is completely changed
> - TableView appears gone

yes, those are changes in QtQuickControls2 (apart from sheetOpen), some things
will get back (like action in the short term and tableview in the long term)
some won't. We had quite some issues of basing on top of a moving target as
well.
every single thing that is needed from QtQuickControls1 can still be used and
as far i know even if not really actively developed won't go away for the
whole Qt5 lifecycle, so there is plenty of time to adapt.
It is perfectly fine, and deisgned to be to import two versions of
qtquickcontrols in the same qml file, at the same time, with a different
namespace

import QtQuick.Controls 1.0 as Controls
import QtQuick.Controls 2.0 as Controls2

> I spent about 15 hours on that and the result is an app that doesn't work.
> It doesn't open the keyboard when you tap on an input field. None of the
> ComboBoxes work. All of our model handling code is broken. It makes me
> want to cry if I think how much time I have spent on this.

is there a branch somewhere that can be tried?

> To call this a complete disaster would be way too kind to the Kirigami
> developers. I know that Marco and Sebastian used to be on this mailing
> list (I doubt they still are, haven't heard from them in months), but
> given that we were their poster child first application I feel completely
> abandoned and kicked to the floor.

I'm sorry you feel that way, all the times i was contected I tried to answer
as quickly as possible
By the way, i'm still subscribed to the list, I don't have time to neither
actively participate in the development nor follow the list day to day, but if
called for, I can help any time or chime in in a thread if needed.

--
Marco Martin