Windows build question: Filesystem layout

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Jan 27 07:05:22 PST 2017

> On Jan 27, 2017, at 6:43 AM, Stefan Fuchs <sfuchs at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Dirk,
>
> Am 26.01.2017 um 23:03 schrieb Dirk Hohndel:
>>
>>> beside my real issue I have one other question:
>>>
>>> I followed the directions in INSTALL and mxe-based-build.sh and I now
>>> have the following filesystem layout:
>>>

>>> └── src
>>>   ├── grantlee
>>>   ├── install-root
>>>   ├── libdivecomputer
>>>   ├── libgit2
>>>   ├── marble-source
>>>   ├── subsurface	<-- source from git
>>>   └── win
>>>       ├── grantlee	<-- copy from one level above
>>>       ├── libcurl
>>>       ├── libdc
>>>       ├── libdivecomputer	<-- copy from one level above
>>>       ├── libgit2	<-- copy from one level above
>>>       ├── libssh2
>>>       ├── marble-source <-- copy from one level above
>>>       ├── mxe
>>>       ├── subsurface	<-- source from git
>>>       └── win32	<-- windows build dir
>>>
>>> So I have a few things twice like subsurface branch, libdivecomputer,
>>> libgit2,... and I need to maintain also the source code twice.
>>> But a comment in mxe-based-build.sh is saying:
>>>
>>> # This makes some assumption about the filesystem layout based
>>> # on the way things are setup on my system so I can build Ubuntu PPA,
>>> # OBS and Windows out of the same sources.
>>>

>>> What did I do wrong? What is maybe obsolete or wrong in my filesystem
>>> layout?
>> Doesn't seem wrong to me. The directories under 'src' are the sources,
>> the ones under 'win' are the build directories.
>>
> But isn't it that "win32" is the build directory and I have the source
> (from git) two times? I added more specificly what I have above in the
> tree...

Sorry, you are (mostly) correct. Again, this script is based on a layout
that I use, and when I check on the server I do indeed have duplications
in there - I could try claiming that this was to be able to have different
versions of these libraries for Windows, but I think it was mostly so that
I had a self-contained set of directories that I could try and build from.