Quirks of the Subsurface dive planner

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Mon Jan 30 00:06:02 PST 2017

On 30/01/2017 09:32, Rick Walsh wrote:

> One feature I was thinking could be useful, especially for deep cave
> dives, would be to check each manually entered ascent leg to see if it
> breaks the deco ceiling, and automatically calculating and inserting
> required stops and gas changes in the plan.  Do you think this would
> be helpful?  The way I envisage it working would be that the points
> are not inserted in the manually entered points table, but do exist in
> the profile display and output text table.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rick
Rick,

Thank you for your feedback. I currently use VPlanner as my primary
planner. But I always plan the same dive with Subsurface as well to see
that I get approximately the same dive plan. And Subsurface helps me to
decide whether a VPM-B or a Bühlmann approach is more appropriate. With
cave diving, sometimes both approaches give more or less the same plan
(remember the scope for the planner to work is quite reduced to the
shallowest 15m depth in my cave diving cases), but the ZH approach gives
a longer final deco stop. Then I often choose the ZH one just for
greater safety.

But my point is that VPlanner inserts deco stops halway through the
"hard-coded" part of the profile. For instance if, on the ascent, I have
dive planner points defined at 35m and 25m, VPlanner sometimes inserts
deco stops at around 30m and 27m. I have never seen Subsurface doing
that and I think it would be a great improvement if, indeed, Subsurface
does not do that. I hope I understand you correctly.

Kind regards,
willem