latest Windows binary crashes

Thiago Macieira thiago at macieira.org
Tue Jul 4 09:19:20 PDT 2017

On segunda-feira, 3 de julho de 2017 14:32:35 PDT Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> Grumble.
>
> I was told on the Qt list that there is a MUCH newer branch that I should
> try - they have updated to a current WebKit. The thing that's odd... between
> 5.7.1 (which the Windows binaries used to be based on) and 5.9 there
> shouldn't really have been any WebKit changes... so why does it crash now.

There are a number of minor changes submitted to the 5.8 and 5.9 branches by
people like Konstantin, Allan and me. Mine were mostly just to make it, but
looking at the diff there appear to be a couple of backports from upstream.

> > i mean i can possibly find the offending line of code, but i won't
> > really have a good fix for it. after seeing that unpredictable Marble
> > multi-threading crash on Windows, i think we are entering the
> > territory of big, complicated but unmaintained libraries that simply
> > may not run with the latest Qt version. Qt 6.0 is coming too...
>
> I think they are working on 5.10 ...

Qt 6.0 will be discussed at the Contributor Summit this year in Berlin. The
current idea is that 5.12 will be LTS and then 6.0. That would put 6.0 about
two years away from now.

> > so we need to:
> > 1) move away from these unmaintained libraries
> > WebKit - currently we are stuck with WebKit on Windows
> > Grantlee - we are stuck with Grantlee due to the template syntax which
> > the users are already using
> > Marble - we probably should start using a 2D map of sorts
>
> WebKit - I think we are stuck with that for a while
> Marble - Tomaz has this working with the latest, maintained Marble
> Grantee - I have this working on Mac

What happened to the idea of using QtLocation for maps?

> > BTW you can try building this QtWebKit port as it's actively updated:
> > https://github.com/annulen/webkit/releases
>
> Yes, and that appears to be in the 5.212 branch of Qt that I need to
> find the time to investigate...

5.212 builds with CMake, not qmake anymore. My recommendation is that you
build it after all the rest of Qt.