Subsurface-mobile user manual

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Tue Jul 4 12:00:58 PDT 2017

Willem,

> On 4. Jul 2017, at 20:24, Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:
>
> I need some help to send a pull request. I created a private repository in GitHub and changed the mobile manual in my private master. Now I need to get the appropriate notification to Dirk.
>
> I cannot find the step by step procedure that Dirk wrote about maybe 2 weeks ago. Perhaps it would be a good idea to put this information as part of the Subsurface source?

let be be sure I understand you correctly: On GitHub, you have cloned the subsurface repository to your account. And on you (local) computer you have a repository where you have done your editing.

Have you already set up your GitHub repository as a remote of your local repository? If not, do so (I usually do that in a graphical GUI for git, but in can be done one the command line as well:

git remote add github https://github.com/willemferguson/subusrface.git <https://github.com/willemferguson/subusrface.git> (or whatever you GitHub account is called)

Then, its not a good practice to commit your edits to local master, better create a new branch before you start committing your changes (using git checkout -b new_branch_name).

If you had done so you could simply push your new branch to GitHub by

git push github new_branch_name:new_branch_name

(branch name is double since one is your local name and the other is the branch name on GitHub which could be different).

Then go to the GitHub website and create a pull request for your new branch (if you do this shortly after pushing there is a prominent button that offers that possibility directly).

Now, it seems you have added local commits to your master. How many are those since you last pulled origin/master? Depending on that it depends what’s best to do to actually move your commits to a new branch.

For example, for a single commit, you could

git reset origin/master

then do the git checkout -b and then recommit. Otherwise go back to origin master and then either cherry pick or rebase.

Best
Robert