Android beta...

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Jul 6 13:04:47 PDT 2017

> On Jul 6, 2017, at 12:54 PM, Jan Mulder <jlmulder at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> On 06-07-17 19:33, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> Thanks to outstanding work by Linus, UI work by Tomaz, and great support
>> from Alex Blasche from the Qt team, I think we are fairly close to being
>> able to launch a strong beta of Subsurface-mobile 2.0 on Android.
>> http://subsurface-divelog.org/downloads/test/Subsurface-mobile-4.6.4.350-arm.apk
>> With one patch added on top of Qt 5.9.1 for Android I can now successfully
>> download from a Suunto EON Steel, a Shearwater Petrel but most importantly
>> from a Shearwater Perdix AI. I also have several reports that the Scubapro
>> G2 appears to work.
>
> Tested on Android 7.1.2. Version -350 as requested, so a signed one, so deleting my development install first.
>
> - A funny cosmetic thing. As I have a relatively big logbook (approx 920 dives in the cloud, with numerous multi hour dives), it takes some time for the initial logbook download to complete. No problem, but the toast message (saying ?/60, not sure where the 60 is coming from), is moving upwards some pixels on every refresh. So a walking toast message. Looks funny, but is not correct obviously.

The 60 is coming from git (I think - need to double check).
Having it move up? I don't recall ever seeing that. I need to pay attention. My log isn't nearly as impressive (490 dives, averaging about an hour), but it also takes a moment, so I should be able to spot that.

> - the "map it" button is not in the correct theme color (it is blue, also in pink theme). More in general. Not sure that the theme color for buttons would be. For example, the buttons on the download from DC are grey. Consistency would be nice I think, especially because it is a major 2.0.

I completely agree. I will tell our team of UI developers to work on this right away.

DIRK: GET YOUR ASS IN GEAR!!!!

(in other words... patches would also be welcome :-)  )

That said, I'll add it to my list.

> - download from cloud work perfectly.

Good.

> - the OSTC3 shows correctly as BT and BLE.
>
> - download over BT works correctly. Over BLE not tested (as I know it does not work (hopefully, yet)).

Still, that's nice for the Android beta as this means the Heinrichs Weikamp BT devices will work. The more dive computers we support in the first version, the better.

> - A probably very difficult one to debug/find, and I suspect QML/Qt/kirigami based. When I scroll very far down, just by swiping multiple times, or by selecting the scrollbar that shows only only when scrolling and just after (autohide, seems fine to me), the pull down sync gets confused. Ok, confused is a little bit unclear description, but still the most accurate I can think of :-) For example: 1) Not being able to force the pull down sync, as a pull over the entire screen (up to down) is not sufficient distance, 2) pull down sync is activated even when not on the top of the divelist. Obviously. 1) and 2) in different sessions.

Yeah... I can't even fully parse your explanation. I have scrolled like a lunatic and for me the scroll down sync behavior in the current version always was as expected. Which is good, I guess. But it means I don't know why you can trigger things so easily. Since this works really well on my phones and seems quite intuitive, I'd hate to just turn it off. I guess I'll just have to add yet another setting so that you can turn it off.

> - Still a crash on exit. Seemingly way beyond all relevant Subsurface processing, so no real hurt done, but still not nice.
> Seems https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-61434

I know of (and understand) a crash when we interrupt a BLE downloading session. The one that you point out... yeah, annoying. But I have no idea what to do about it.

Thanks for all the feedback. I hate that for none of the issues I was able to say "yep, I'll fix it" :-(