Android beta... - FTDI download

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Jul 9 14:53:36 PDT 2017

> On Jul 9, 2017, at 2:50 PM, Dietrich Meyer <dietrich at sunnynames.com> wrote:
>
> On Sonntag, 9. Juli 2017 23:30:28 CEST you wrote:
>>> Tried  to download from Suunto Vyper2 via third-party FTDI Suunto-USB
>>> cable
>>> and USB-OTG cable connected to Samsung Galaxy S5 with LineageOS 14.1
>>> (Android 7.1.1). I used subsurface - version 2.0(4.6.4.363).
>>>
>>> Don't have any new dives, so I just deleted the last dive in subsurface-
>>> mobile, and am trying to re-download it from the DC.
>>>
>>> I open the download dialog, choose Suunto Vyper2 and hit the "Download"
>>> button.
>>
>> So when you plugged in the FTDI cable, did you get an Android dialog asking
>> you if you wanted to connect the USB device to Subsurface-mobile? Without
>> that, there's no chance that this could ever work.
>
> I did, initially, but told android to remember this. So now I just connect the
> cable and subsurface starts up automatically...

Excellent. That's the way it's supposed to be.

>>> Something then changes on the display, see attached screenshot, but it
>>> seems to not properly download a dive. Looks like a empty new dive
>>> without Depth nor Duration information. I can select the checkbox next to
>>> "Depth/Duration", and accept, but don't get any new dive in the divelist.
>>
>> I thought I had fixed this empty dive display. Clearly I haven't. That's
>> just massively misleading. The next beta build will have that addressed and
>> will also try to give more interesting feedback during the download. That
>> was also on my todo list and I somehow forgot to do it. Grumble.
>
> Sorry for bringing this up then :-)

No, it's good that you are bringing it up since I need to fix this.

>>> Is there a way how I can collect more information that might help you
>>> finding the bug? Or is this the same problem you encountered on other
>>> android devices?
>> So under Develper->AppLog you will see a lot more info, but currently that
>> doesn't allow cut'n paste, so it's really hard to send this in, except with
>> screen shots. Also something that I need to address...
>
> Ok, this I should have found alone.... that's what you call brown paper bag
> moment, right?
>
> but with your help I see the problem:
> there is a line
> "Finished thread Insufficient privileges to open the device %s %s (%s) dives
> downloaded 0"
> next line reads
> "50.409: DCDownloadThread finished"
>
> So some privileges problem..... probably similar to what was discussed
> previously with selinux....

Actually, that's another potentially painfully misleading error message.
Is there anything useful in the lines just before this?

>> But I didn't want to keep delaying the beta, either. What we really need is
>> more people working on the code. But I have mentioned that a few hundred
>> times already, haven't I?
>
> Yes, message heard, already previously. Just not sure if I find enough time to
> give something back, there would be a steep and long learning curve before
> that, my last serious programming effort was in Fortran (77/90), almost two
> decades ago....

You are contributing right now - testing and feedback really help.
I was not trying to make you feel bad. Seriously.