the marble (map) replacement dilemma

Hartley Horwitz hhrwtz at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 07:29:30 PDT 2017

> Bcc:
> Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 00:25:38 +0300
> Subject: the marble (map) replacement dilemma

> you can pick between Google Maps and Qt Location

My pick is to use Google Maps and accept that access to the maps when
offline isn't supported.  Obviously that only makes sense if Subsurface
suppresses the viewport update to prevent the software from hanging or
producing error messages.

The reason I lean towards Google maps is that I like to see the reefs using
satellite images, and thus I'm already looking at Google to help set
the dive location (if I don't have the exact GPS coordinates).  Actually
sometimes I still use Google maps because I may have the coordinates in
sexagesimal degrees coordinates and its easier to type in coordinates in
decimal and google is an easy source for that translation.

Caveat - I suggest this as someone who isn't a developer, so I'm largely
ignoring the complexities of Qt support vs custom API.

...Hartley