the marble (map) replacement dilemma

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Mon Jul 10 23:09:08 PDT 2017

Hi,

> On 11. Jul 2017, at 07:18, Martin Měřinský <mermar at centrum.cz> wrote:
>
> I would like to see OpenStreetMap. (Google/OSM map layers can be
> configurable).
>
> Map tiles could be used from Gnome Maps or Viking cache (if available).
> It would reduce used disk space and offer offline maps (for already
> cached tiles).

the problem with actual maps is that they are made for land use and often enough water is just some blue area without any details. Yes, there is openseamap but that is intended for boating so the details available are again mostly not interesting to divers. Currently, there is probably no alternative to satellite images that also show reefs etc.

Best
Robert