OSTC over BLE experiences and questions

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Jul 11 07:27:07 PDT 2017

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 03:44:44PM +0200, Jan Mulder wrote:

> > I asked Linus to take a look at that commit, given that he understands
> > that code much better than I do.
>
> Yes, very good. Despite me changing it, I also do not fully understand why
> the code was as it was.

Story of a maintainer's life :-)

> In my testing I have not seen any cases of 32 being not enough. So, yes,
> comfortable with it. The 118 dives where a serious stress test.
>
> > Not advocating to do this, just trying to understand how you picked 32.
>
> It is coming from the Telit code samples :-) I just copied it, tested it
> with this value, and it just works.

That's an excellent reason

> > Thanks for all the work on that. I keep hoping that with every flavor of
> > BLE that we add we will cover more of the "typical" cases and that the
> > next one to add will become easier.
>
> Indeed. The step to OSTC was a pretty difficult one, with that weird credit
> thing, 4 characteristics to deal with, and a different parser concept than
> the "one-packet is fine" types as before.

In a way each one was remarkably different from the previous one. I'm
hoping that we are getting closer to having the typical cases covered.

> And in the meantime, I tried Android, with Qt 5.9.1 but no success yet.
> Cannot open device (BLE that is, BT just works).

Often that means that they are not connected / bonded. Since we don't try
to do the scan / connect ourselves, we are relying on Android doing that
for us. What reliably works for me is to have nRF Connect scan, connect,
then bond, and THEN start Subsurface-mobile. But of course it's possible
that there's yet more oddity here with the chip used on the OSTC...