the marble (map) replacement dilemma

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Tue Jul 11 09:50:25 PDT 2017

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 11:40 PM, Martin Měřinský <mermar at centrum.cz> wrote:

> OK, I didn't thought about that. I dive mostly lakes and quarries. So
> for me, access roads are more important than reefs :-)

Yeah. For an example of this, here's our current map implementation:

which shows quite well why you'd want to ​see reef data: you can tell that
on that one dive, the boat where my phone was getting GPS coordinates was
fairly far off the reef, and I didn't end up correcting it.

And openstreetmap has improved, but this is what it seems to look like
today on OSM:

​
I'm actually impressed that you can see Ulong channel there - but you can
also see what a huge difference there is between good satellite imagery and
not having it.

And that google map data isn't even remotely zoomed in all the way. When
you zoom in all the way you end up seeing the waves and dive boats (and
these are not big boats) around the sites.

In fact, you can tell how much better the google satellite data has gotten
over the last few years - they used to have the high-resolution stuff only
around big cities, now they have it around pretty out-of-the-way places
like Palau too.

So good satellite information is really important for these things. More so
than the offline cacheability, which is just "a good thing to have because
internet often sucks in those places".

                       Linus