the marble (map) replacement dilemma

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Tue Jul 11 14:28:43 PDT 2017

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 2:21 PM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Qt Location does not support street view, so i guess that if we decide
>> to go with the Qt Location solution we need to enable opening street
>> view inside a new browser window, which runs google maps and requires
>> internet access - e.g. when clicked a marker on the Qt Location map we
>> can show a button "street view for this location".
>
> actually the above is not that easy to do, because google's street
> view will first of all need to have ground imagery for a location.

Don't worry too much about streetview per se.

What I really think we should support is just a way to "escape" from
the regular map window, regardless of what embedded map we are using.

Right now it's a bit painful to extract GPS coordinates from our data
- I actually just end up always doing a "git grep" over the git
repository instead if I need it.

So what would be lovely is just *any* fairly standard way to get the
data from the currently selected dive points. Not so much for
something very specific like streetview, but just in general.

Then, if you can feed it into an external source, that external source
might be just a regular google maps browser window, and then you can
pick the streetview thing on your own if that is what you want.

But sometimes you might want to instead of a "search around here for
good restaurants" or whatever.

So the point is not streetview per se, as much as the generic issue of
"I have one or more dive sites, I want to just interact with something
else than purely an embedded map in the app".

                  Linus