OSTC over BLE experiences and questions

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Jul 11 18:47:07 PDT 2017

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 06:41:06PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 5:32 PM, Matt Thompson <mathomp at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> So I was singularly unimpressed. I had it with me for one dive trip
> >> and never touched it again.
> >
> > Well I'm doing my first real dives with it tomorrow so I'll see how it goes.
> > I've done a few lake dives with it and the information on the main screen is
> > good.  The compass is useless and the reflection is annoying.  I'm DM'ing at
> > an Aqualung shop so it's part of the "uniform."
>
> So I just googled the i750TC images, and it actually looks a bit
> different from the A300CS.

Look at what I wrote in the email about all the BLE computers.
The i750TC appears to be a clone of the Oceanic VTX, which is an updated
version of the A300CS. And yes, the screen layout is one of the major
improvements (they appear to be identical from a USB download perspective).

> So it's not just a slightly different shell and firmware, there's
> likely some real hardware differences. It's probably almost identical,
> though.

It sucks, though, that the BLE is different. :-(

> Sadly, a bit of googling did not find that uuid that it reports, so
> the exact details of the i750TC will need to be determined the hard
> way with testing and luck.

Maybe Matt's dive shop can send you a loaner with a few dives on it?