OSTC over BLE experiences and questions

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Tue Jul 11 22:07:24 PDT 2017

I have a later Aeris A300CS (purchased just after the VTX launch) with about 30 dives on it and really like it *now*.  Some things did change, and it's important to have an updated firmware.  I use the VTX compression mount on my lower arm, for what it's worth.

Never had the mirror issues underwater, but it came with a plastic screen protector which I promptly applied before the first dive. Perhaps that was taking out much of the glare?  Can you confirm if yours is bare glass?  I did experience the wash out effect and needing to keep brightness above 50% mid-day.  The OLED was amazing for a series of night/twilight dives, btw. Small text is not a big issue for me personally.  I can easily read that in clear water, but don't recall really needing to leave the main screen or compass during a dive (more curious about temperature).

*now* ----- Four major snags along the way:

I ran into a defect where the computer silently added a bunch of nitrogen during a surface interval at the end of a 6 dive series while I was prepping to go back in and went into a deco condition 30 sec underwater. I submitted the dive logs, etc., and Oceanic published a specific firmware update to patch it.

The main UI was also updated more similar to the VTX in the later firmwares. When they did that, they switched the low battery indicator to a green battery indicator. I managed to miss that detail, thought it was good, and had it completely die on me at Bonne Terre. Stupid UI decision on that indicator color, but can be worked around easy enough. They were discontinuing further features on the A300CS in favor of the VTX, so the interfaces will likely start to diverge again.  The new interface is much better, though overall.

The PO2 warning is crazy annoying, and you can't really turn it off if you have audible alerts on.  It's hard coded at .2 below your PO2 limit, so for 1.4 constantly trips at 1.2.  When diving EAN36, that's basically right into the middle of the ideal depth range I tend to want to be at for the reef, and it sounds off each and every time you cross that threshold descending a foot of so.  You have to set it to 1.6 to avoid having the warning going off constantly, and that messes things up a bit in planning mode.  If I recall, you could not set it higher, so tech divers would likely need to do without audible alarms.  I find those audible alerts particularly handy for things like ascent rate, just really wish the PO2 alert matched the set limit.

Initially no transmitted pressure readings.  Support had me remove the battery and short two contacts inside the device.  After that, the transmitter has worked fine.