Testing v392 with OSTC Sport

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Jul 13 06:03:50 PDT 2017

[bringing this back as a response to the original question]

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 02:01:30PM +0200, Matthias Heinrichs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > From: Werner Macho <werner.macho at gmail.com>
> > Subject: Testing v392 with OSTC Sport
> > There is no reaction when I switch the Dive Computer to "OSTC Sport" but
> > accidentally I hit the retry button while the Dive Computer was set to
> > "OSTC 3" and everything worked.
>
> How is the App deciding to which BLE device it's connecting?

It tries to associate Bluetooth names (and the correspondong addresses)
with known patterns for dive computer names. I'm actually surprised that
this didn't end up with an error that it can't determine the address - but
maybe the slightly odd BT names of the OSTC devices worked out in our
favor here and it was misdetected?

Can you reproduce this behavior? If yes, I'd love to see the
subsurface.log for such a successful attempt

> To download the logs, both versions (hwOS2 Tech and Sport) are compatible
> and the Bluetooth name should not matter. OSTC4 is different, of course.

That's what worries me about this whole thing, TBH. It shouldn't work, and
if it did work, it shouldn't make a difference. So what's going on?