Build a new compile environment

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Jul 13 17:00:52 PDT 2017

> On Jul 13, 2017, at 1:55 PM, Axel Richter <axel.richter at freenet.de> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I got a new laptop - the old one was about 15 years old...., put an OpenSUSE Leap 42.2 on and tried to compile Subsurface for Linux and Android.
> I can write and compile programs for Android and Linux on that machine, but subsurface builds fail with different errors.

We should fix those errors. There's no reason this shouldn't compile on Leap 42.2
Can you post them here? Maybe separately for Android cross build and for the Desktop build?
> So the question:
> Has anybody a recommendation for a build environment?
>
> Fedora / Ubuntu / whatever?

Personally, I'm on Arch Linux, so is Tomaz. I happen to know that Linus is on Fedora.
> In the past I could run/debug (and try to understand) subsurface via command line. My goal is to use eclipse for that, even on an android target (which works well with own programs).

I haven't used Eclipse in something like a decade. I use Qt Creator and am quite happy with it. Of course you can't remote debug on Android with it.

> BTW: Nice work with G2 and german settings...

Linus deserves all the credit for that.