Statistics Reloaded.

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Fri Jul 14 10:43:54 PDT 2017

Hallo Davide,

Thank for your informative reply. I will address a number of the isssues
you raised and make a few proposals with screen mockups. Responding to
your last message:

> *Stats panel congestion.*
>
> Originally I proposed two UI implementations: tabbed pane or master
> detail pattern:
>
> - Tabbed pane: a classic but maybe somehow obsolete design. It gives
> the maximum horizontal space, wasting very few vertical space.
> - Master details pattern: modern UI but it waste a lot of horizontal
> space.
>
> _Both approach have the benefits that you could implements statistics
> in several steps (adding tabs/items) and the UI seems complete._
>
> Master details pattern: http://i.imgur.com/GdH6psp.png
> Tabbed pane (you already saw it): http://i.imgur.com/6d1eF4N.png

The Tabbed Pane approach wastes a lot of screen space on the left hand
side of the screen. In addition, the present Notes Pane UI already is
tab-oriented within the Notes Panel and one would not want to change the
look-and-feel now. In contrast, tabs use much less space.

> *About usability.*
>
> IMHO current multi-filter lacks of an important text message to the user:
>
> When there is no filtering in action the string is: /"You have 523
> dives logged"/
This is already shown at the top of the filter tool, if I understand you
correctly. "Filter shows ** out of ** dives"

> *Multi-filter space congestion.*
>
> I remember Tomaz wrote he implemented this widget with modularity in
> mind so we could add more filters in the future like plugins. I see
> that horizontal space could be a problem. In the wireframe I add some
> filters as textbox on top of combo boxes.  As today the the most
> important filter missing is a date range control. I see that "Trips"
> are important to many users so a filter for them would be important.
> Do not forget that currently we have a small arrow button to collapse
> multi-filter giving plenty of space to filtered dive list or future
> stats panel.
>
> /*Idea*: we could choose form preference panel which filters we use
> the most: which filters I want to display in the filter panel. Once we
> have more filters than available space I could just add/remove them.
> The same idea would apply to the infinite button list on our dive
> graph. I never used most of them and we could choose in prefs panel
> which button I want on the graph./

I agree that is an option, and would require another page in the
Preferences (which is in principle organised as a Tabbed Pane!)

My proposal is as follows.

Initially we stick to the statistics that are currently shown (Depth,
SAC, Temp, Duration), but design in the ability to expand if it would be
required. From your mockups I am not sure what other information you
think may be necessary. So, below, I stuck to the four basic variables
already calculated in the present version.

Look at Depth_stats.jpg, attached. I cut down the filter in order to
make use of the screen space as efficiently as possible. The Depth
filter and the Date filter need to be added to the existing filter tool.
Then there are three button options:

1) present aggregated statistics for the filtered dives.
2) show statistics for each trip for the selected dives
3) show statistics for each year for the selected dives.

If no dives are selected, then statistics are calculated for the whole
dive log.

1) Aggregated statistics for the filtered dives, activated by the button
"Filtered statistics" in the filter panel. There are five tabs,. one ofr
each of the four variables currently calculated, plus "Summary
statistics". See *Depth_stats.jpg*, attached. The statistics are
presented as a bar graph (more accurately a histogram) plus a calculated
mean value. The "Summary statistics" present the maxima and minima, the
same data shown in the existing Statistics tab. I honestly think these
data still have value, independent of the histograms. See the attached
*Summary_stats.jpg*. Important here is that all statistics should be
indicated in appropriate units and that proper statistical terminology
is used.

2) Trip Statistics. Here I assume that the user is interested in long
term trends in variables. e.g. long term change in SAC rate, depth or
duration. Therefore the correct labelling of individual trips is not
required and a numbering from first to last is sufficient. If the user
wished for a specific trip, this could be extracted by selecting that
trip using the filter and using the Filtered statistics button. See the
attached *Trip-Depth_Stats.jpg*.

3) Yearly Statistics. This follows the same principle as in Trip
Statistics, but represents data for each year in the selected set of dives.

Since the bar graphs in the Trip Statistics and Yearly Statistics tabs
show minimum, mean and maximum, the summary data currently viewed under
"View -> Yearly statistics" can probably by removed from the code.

There are two problems that still need solving:
1) Currently the Yearly statistics menu option can extract data for dive
types, i.e. OC, pSCR or CCR. This could be obtained via yet an
additional filter field or a preference setting and is in principle
easily solved.
2) More complex is the issue of the bin sizes of histograms. E.g. in
*Depth_stats.jpg* the depth increments are 10m for each bar. What if all
dives were performed in the depth range 10-20 meters? This would result
in a histogram with a single bar. Not satisfactory. So we need to have a
feature to halve the bin size, i.e. to reduce the interval for each bar
to half of the present size (i.e. 5 m in this example) or to some
smaller number. The most simple would be to have a text box or a
dropdown box in the graphic field in which a default bin size is used
and with which a different bin size could be specified. But I am not
sure which way is the most acceptable from an intuitive UI point of view.

I hope all this makes sense.

Kind regards,
willem