AppImages with "everything" from up-to-date systems (using makeaoi)?

Lutz Vieweg lvml at 5t9.de
Sun Jul 16 15:06:44 PDT 2017

On 07/10/2017 09:45 AM, Lutz Vieweg wrote:
>>> it does not yet support ioctl() stuff like subsurface needs to do
>>> on device files connecting to dive computer hardware.
>>
>> Ah, that's a bummer.
>
> Yes. So far I see two ideas how to tackle that:
>
> a) extend the "fake devices via regular files" approach by passing along
>     ioctl() commands.
>     Seems like a moderate amount of effort, but success is of course unclear
>     until tried.

I tried this and succeeded to make two exemplary ioctl()s - TCGETS and TCSETS -
work with https://github.com/lvml/makeaoi

When I've got another free time slot I'll find out which ioctl()s
subsurface needs to communicate fine with my own D9, which should
be one of the easier computers to connect to, and see to support
those as well.
If that turns out to work well, I'll see if I can borrow a Bluetooth
connected device for trying.

> b) extend unionfs-fuse by CUSE support, trying to pass through the
>     system devices as user space devices.

I looked up the (not so great) documentation of this, and it won't
work: Only root is allowed to create devices via CUSE.

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg