QtLocation map updates

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Jul 17 13:55:03 PDT 2017

> On Jul 17, 2017, at 1:44 PM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Here is some progress for the transition to QtLocation based map.
>
> GIT branch:
> https://github.com/neolit123/subsurface/commits/map
>
> animated GIF preview:
> https://giphy.com/gifs/3oKIP8eLtgEiM6JNEk/fullscreen

NICE. I like it.

> NOTES:
> - tested with 5.9 and the NO_MARBLE flag
> - i'm writing this map implementation, so that the widget can be used
> on both desktop and mobile
> - i've noticed something lawyer-esque about the ESRI plugin, so this
> might be an inportant read:
> https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/location-plugin-esri.html
>
> "The Developer subscription offers a free-of-charge option for
> developing and testing your applications. With this, your applications
> can go to production under the following conditions:
> ..."

The Developer subscription offers a free-of-charge option for developing and testing your applications. With this, your applications can go to production under the following conditions:

	• The app can request up to one million maps per month, and one million geocodes per month.
	• The app does not directly generate revenue. That is, end users must be able to obtain it and to use it for free.

The second is clearly true. The first one. Hmm - we have > 10k users, so with only a hundred maps per user we might collide with that threshold. I guess that depends a bit on what counts as a "map" in this context. Every tile?
Also, how many of our users are active each month - and are we allowed to cache the tiles. We usually see only about 2500 individual connections to the update server every month. So this may work, or it may not work.
If we run into problems, I'll be happy to reach out to ESRI to see if they would allow us higher usage.

> TODO:
> - editing dives sites
> - porting other aspects from Marble
> - add context menu

It looks like you are making strong progress!