Statistics Reloaded.

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Tue Jul 18 06:28:49 PDT 2017

On 18/07/2017 11:40, Davide DB wrote:
> They wouldn't be scattered.
> It's a simple approach:
>
> #1 you (eventually) filter your data via the multi-filter on the top
> #2 you choose the type of statistic to apply, or how to represent them
> via one of the "stats tab" you have available.
>
> Once you come out with a new graph/stat you simply add a new tab.
>
> Regarding UI layout, just look at the attachment: it's my Subsurface
> on a popular 1280x720 crappy monitor.
> You can see that the current multi-filter seems cut on the lower
> border and all items aren't properly spaced/distributed. For a proper
> design we should increase vertical space a bit to display correctly a
> certain number of items at least. We have few space remaining for dive
> list. Now imagine to draw statistics in the dive detail box...
> Regardless of the way you will choose to implement stats, it doesn't
> seem to me a good graphical design. Too much things in one screen.
>
> BTW you are the programmers so you have the power :)
>
> Bye

Attached two mockups of screen layout. The filter tool only has one
button "Statistics". If this button is selected, the Statistics screen
shows up as in Dive_stats.jpg, attached. This is the default statistics
view for the "Statistics" button in the filter tool and shows a
histogram for each of the four variables currently calculated in the
code. In addition, it shows the minimum, mean and maximum (in text) for
each variable. If the statistics for "Trip" are selected in the tabs at
the top of the statistics panel, then the view changes to that shown in
"Trip_stats.jpg", attached. In this case there are nine trips that
result from using the filter tool, shown along the X-axis of each graph.
For each trip, the vertical bar represents minimum, mean and maximum.

Tabs could in future be added to the top of the Statistics panel to
perform new or additional calculations, so there is expandability in the
system.

Commentary, please...?

Kind regards,

willem