[Subsurface-divelog/subsurface] [idea] Mobile UI #5: sidebar (#430)

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Jul 18 10:44:26 PDT 2017

I am very intentionally moving  this small part of the discussion around Davide's Mobile UI ideas back to the developer mailing list because I think it is important - and not a lot of the people here tend to look at the issues on github (that's the eternal problem... it's hard to discuss these things in email and they get forgotten too easily if we do, yet there is a lot less participation on github...)

> On Jul 18, 2017, at 10:30 AM, willemferguson <notifications at github.com> wrote:
> Just look at the items in the Desktop Main Menu, Things like "Filter", Renumber dive list, Edit device names, Configure DC, und so weiter und so weiter.

So just to repeat something that I've said many times and that everyone loves to just not hear or ignore...
We. Will. Not. Recreate. The desktop app. As. Mobile app.

Filter? Maybe. Because that is super useful.

Renumber, edit device names, configure DC, all that other junk we have there? Nope. Please. Nope.
> Several of these items are likely to find their way into mobile and space needs to be available to build them into the menu system. Already I am not convinced that the whole menu system will fit onto a single mobile screen. Rather than an ad hoc solution such as "Tools", a more fundamental and pro-active plan needs to be made. Even if there is a Tools item in the present menu system (and Davide has forgotten at least one more menu item, Show GPS locations), the list is already too long for an average mobile phone

Yes. And the fix is not to try to have every silly thing in there. I am still not convinced that I want to take the planner code. Seriously, start a Subsurface-mobile-planner app.
All adding a planner will do is to add complexity, add more settings, add more things that will break, make the app bigger. And sure, fifteen people will each use it once. Seven will use it a few times. And three people will use it every week for the rest of their lives. And the other 2000 users will never even open the menu.

Our current planner is a disgusting mess of a UI on a 15" laptop screen with keyboard / mouse interaction.
But we are spending time on making it work with a tap based UI on a 5" screen. Sure.

Could we instead try to fix the actual mobile app instead? I am thrilled that a couple more people have started to work on the QML code. YAY.
Let's not distract ourselves again.