Issues with SAC terminology

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Tue Jul 18 11:11:55 PDT 2017

On 18/07/2017 19:14, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Absolutely *everybody* knows what we mean by SAC rate. And the ones
> that are offended by our use of standard terminology can be offended.
>
> It's their problem, not ours. Let's not take on their mental baggage.
>
>                  Linus

Part of this argument is just me and who I am. I am a scientist and for
effective communication, terminology is critical. Just look how he word
"awesome" has totally lost its meaning in popular language: it can mean
almost anything. My students have lost the meaning of the word
"variation" or the verb "vary": they would say that men vary from women,
not that men differ from women, so the word "variation" has lost its
technical meaning. In addition, I was trained that each number one uses
has an associated unit. To say that respiratory minute volume is
measured in bar is just nonsensical. And we use this common-day
terminology in situations where people can get hurt by miscommunication
or misperception.

But clearly I am far in the minority, so I will shut my mouth on this issue.

Kind regards,

willem