Subsurface mobile: delete and sync operations.

Joakim Bygdell j.bygdell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 06:22:39 PDT 2017

On 19 July 2017 at 15:03, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> [...]
> "Confirm delete". Noticed the steps in Github that are required to delete a
> repo? You must really be convinced to do this in order to delete a repo, no
> way of doing that accidentally. I am pretty conversant with the mobile UI
> and on a few occasions my finger has managed to accidentally stray to the
> dustbin under a dive profile. And then the "Undo" button comes up, out of
> the blue, and I am so startled that I do not respond in time. Dive gone.
>
> The pattern of confirming an action is something that is not well liked in
> mobile apps. I am pretty sure we had this discussion here a while ago. I
> agree that it's way too easy to delete a dive. Of course, that dive isn't
> really gone (thanks to our git storage), but that's no consolation for a
> regular user.
>
> I'm not sure what to do about this. Davide, you are our resident UI
> guru... what do you think?
>
> > 3) I intentionally deleted four dives from my dive log (using dive list
> and red button) in order to test the delete option. Then I tried to regain
> them by doing a "Save to cloud" from my desktop. Nice, divelog saved. Then
> I do a "Sync with cloud" on the mobile but the four dives do not come back.
> No way of get them back, except by uninstalling Subsurface-mobile on
> Android and doing a complete reinstallation, re-initialising the cloud
> credentials and reloading the divelog from scratch. My four dives are back.
>
> You'd think that would work, but it doesn't because of the way git merges
> the operations. We need a UI to bring back deleted dives. It's not really
> hard to do, it's just something someone needs to implement.
>
> > I am just thinking how an unfamiliar user will struggle with this
> interface. My firm suggestions are:
> >
> > a) On Android, the "Sync with cloud" tries to be too clever and as far
> as I can see does not succeed. As user I would be much more happy if I had
> complete control with two more options: "Save to cloud" and "Load from
> cloud". These are unambiguous with clearly predictable results.
>
> The way git works it's not that easy. Yes, it's easy to implement "forget
> everything I've done and go back to what's on the server". I actually
> started working on that and then got side tracked. I should have a branch
> that has the beginnings of that somewhere. But "save to cloud" and ignore
> changes from the other side is not something that I'm keen to implement.
> That's basically a force push and that will make any other Subsurface
> instance that is connected to the cloud storage decidedly unhappy. So this
> needs a bit more thought.
>
> > b) Make the delete dive action more safe. Dive data are valuable, often
> with significant time spent in writing notes, specifying cylinder pressures
> (that are lost upon delete) and the like. One does not want to lose a dive
> accidentally.
>
> Agreed. I'm just not sure what the best user interaction for that would be.

Simple fix, remove the delete button in the dive details view, in order to
delete a dive from the dive list
the user must pres and hold for a few seconds until the trashcan appears
then click it to delete the dive.
A bit cumbersome yes, but not very accident prone.

If we are to keep the delete function in the details view we should add a
"Are you sure?" popup.

> /D

Jocke