latest Android test binary

Joakim Bygdell j.bygdell at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 22:39:13 PDT 2017

On 23 July 2017 at 07:25, Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za>
wrote:

> On 22/07/2017 21:23, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>
> I started testing the new binary and it seems not broken, so that's good
>

> Most everything in the changes I really like. The new menu layout makes a
> lot more sense. I miss the easily visible / accessible switch for the
> location service (but that may be just me... this seems like something I
> really want to be able to see at a glance when checking my phone while on
> the dive boat).
>
> What I wonder about is the switch to "switches" (no pun intended). I know
> that they are the Android standard, but I think they provide zero
> incremental value compared to having check boxes - and the round bigger
> switches and the smaller more squared check boxes (for example on the
> settings page) really do look odd together. I don't think this is quite
> right, yet.
>

> Activating the GPS service should  not be under settings. This is not a
> service setting: it is an action just as "Manual sync with cloud" is an
> action. At the very least it should be in the GPS submenu and not in
> Settings. Then again, there is under "Dive Management, the option "Enable
> auto cloud sync". Is this a setting? It turns out these distinctions are
> actually not black and white.

No they are not and we should define where the ambiguous parts should
belong.

> I have two proposals for "Run location service" activation. 1) Move the
> "Run location service"  switch to the GPS submenu and indicate whether it
> is active or inactive by an appropriate icon on the left, indicating on or
> off. I could help with icons but Joakim has been so efficient with his
> icons I would prefer him do this. 2) For the location service to be useful
> at all, the user must be able to easily see whether it is active or not,
> even on the main menu. This is why the previous arrangement with a checkbox
> on the main menu was very useful. Is it possible to have an icon in the
> Android icon bar at the top of the screen?

1) Moving it to the GPS menu is no problem, the icon on the other hand...
If we add a icon to show that the GPS is off, that would be the default
view for most people, see picture.

what we really should do is to interact with the OS backend and display the
GPS icon in the top bar just like Google Maps does when active.

Or we could apply an color the the GPS icon in the drawer when the service
is active, that way it will be REALLY clear when it is active or not.