GPS pains

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Sun Jul 23 08:03:01 PDT 2017

I experience a lot of trouble with the capture of locations. My location
options are set for 5 minutes 100 meters throughout and I checked
regularly that this was still the case. I attach a number of images.

Image 1) Loaded 4.6.4.482, set up the settings as mentioned above (Image
2) and switched on the location service at 08h24. Logging happened for
about 25 minutes, after which a crazy date/time was recorded and all
logging stopped without me stopping it. I checked Android system time &
date and these were accurate. Tried to start up location service by
stopping it and starting it again. No use: no service. Deleted all
locations from list, switched off logging and switched it on again. No
logging. Restarted Subsurface-mobile and started logging again. No go.
Did re-installation of software, set location service preferences, and
started location service. Logging of locations happened for 10 minutes,
after which the experience was identical to that above (Image 3). Did
re-installation of Subsurface-mobile, set up parameters again, set the
logging preferences as above and switched on location service. Now
logging took place accurately, but at *10*-minute intervals. I made sure
my preferences were as defined above. At around 15h27 I switched off the
location service, but the logging of GPS positions continued (Image 4).
It looks like the switch for switching location service on and off is
faulty.

The mobile phone was on the same desk all the time and not moving
around. The interaction between time and *distance* may therefore affect
the exact times GPS positions were recorded.

There are some issues with the accuracy of the GPS positions as well,
with differences of up to 50m being observed, *much* more than that
observed with other software such as GPS Essentials and GPS-status. But
I will worry about that at a later stage.

I will wait for the next .apk and repeat some of the above to make sure
it is not something in the building or download process of this specific
build that went wrong (although 2nd time round I did a new download).

Kind regards,

wilem