GPS pains

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sun Jul 23 11:13:57 PDT 2017

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 8:03 AM, Willem Ferguson
<willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:

> There are some issues with the accuracy of the GPS positions as well, with
> differences of up to 50m being observed, *much* more than that observed with
> other software such as GPS Essentials and GPS-status. But I will worry about
> that at a later stage.

I have to admit to still using the old subsurface companion app that
does nothing but the gps tracking. The one time I tried to use the gps
data from the native subsurface app, I also saw oddly inaccurate data.

The inaccurate data only had three digits of precision in the decimal
representation of degrees, which is on the order of a hundred meters
or so.

I suspect subsurface-mobile doesn't tell the system that it wants the
*accrate* GPS location, so it occasionally gets the quick approximate
one that uses wifi and cell towers.

But that's just a random guess.

               Linus