GPS pains

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Sun Jul 23 12:21:39 PDT 2017

On 23/07/2017 20:13, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> I have to admit to still using the old subsurface companion app that
> does nothing but the gps tracking. The one time I tried to use the gps
> data from the native subsurface app, I also saw oddly inaccurate data.
>

>                 Linus

Seeing that this is the evening for admissions, I have to make that same
admission. Subsurface-mobile has left me in the lurch so many times that
I dare not use it in real diving. Mobile randomly gave me locations on
land. I will be diving Mozambique in two weeks and I will make full
collections of Subsurface-mobile collecting GPS data alongside the
Companion. I suspect there will be problems with Mobile, but at least we
will have a substantial data set to draw comparisons from. It will be
such a shame that code that has received so much energy and time is, in
the end, not useful and I am hopeful that any problems will get solved
eventually. I will do what I can to make "eventually" quite soon.

Meantime I have been testing 4.6.4.487 collecting GPS data and
everything looks ok till now. Its getting late and I will do quite a bit
more testing tomorrow.
Kind regards,
willem