Testing cloud account creation

Jan Mulder jlmulder at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 26 11:35:20 PDT 2017

On 26-07-17 20:08, Jan Mulder wrote:
> Like the title says. Trying to create a new cloud account from the
> mobile app.
>

> Mobile app session 1)
>
> - using a new email address/passwd
> - toast message shows (loading dives from cache failed) => sure, we are
> creating a new one.
> - pin request is correctly shown (and correctly received from server)
> - logging is incorrect (says to enter PIN in desktop. Minor issue.
> - toast message: failed to open <cloud string>
> - a correct empty dive list is shown
> - import some (9, before I hit cancel) dives from DC
> - now try "manual sync with cloud". Knowing what toast messages are to
> be expected, it does not seem to get synced with the remote. And indeed,
> in the log, the message "Cannot save to cloud, without loading first".
> Obviously, we could not connect to the cloud earlier in this session, so
> we did not load (the empty dive list). But it is assuring that the log
> also says: "Save changes to local cache".
> - Some verification from desktop: try to log-in to the cloud website.
> results in 404 error.
> - end of this session. Log of this session is attached as
> subsurface-s-1.log (used email address is removed, I don't want all my
> email addresses leaked to the internet. One is enough :-) )
>
> Mobile app session 2)
>
> - start a new mobile session
> - to my surprise, the credentials page is shown. Already filled in
> email/passwd and the "log shows loading dives from cache failed"
> - tried the save icon. Nothing happens
> - despite the credentials page still open on the page stack, I can
> navigate to the settings page.
> - On the settings page, I re-enter my passwd.
> - and exit the app. The session log is attached as subsurface-s-2.log,
> and does not contain anything relevant (so it seems to me)
>

> Mobile app session 3)
>
> - start a new mobile session
> - again the credentials page is shown. Now continue with the "no cloud"
> button.
> - an empty dive list is shown
> - ok, download some dives again.
> - error toast "unable to open remote", but the are are (4 this time)
> dives in my list
> - toast message "done creating local cache"
> - tried "manual sync with cloud". Nothing seems to happen.
> - tried numerous things, but always end up at the credential page, or
> the divelist with 4 dives.
> - and exit log is in subsurface-s-3.log
>
> and in the meantime ... try to log-in to the cloud website again.
> results in 404 error. So finally, it seems that the new account is not
> created.
>
> End of testing for today.

And, sorry for the testing noise.

Forgot one final session. So here it is.

Mobile session 4).

- as I did not seem to be able to get a working cloud account from
session 2) and 3) above
- I deleted the app, and re-installed it.
- And now I can successfully connect to the cloud using the app
- subsurface-s-4.log is the prove of an (empty) cloud log.

So, my current hypothesis of all this. The correct state of the new user
account is not carried forward correctly, probably in combination with
some delay in creation of a new cloud account on the server. So, the
immediate connect (from session 1) fails, as the account does not yet
exist. No problem, (in principle) as long as the account details are
carried forward correctly. Then a session 2 or 3 would be able to
connect to the cloud. A full reset of all the underlying app data (by
reinstalling it), brings us to a different use case (new install, but
already valid account on the server).

So, this the real end of testing for today.

--jan