Subsurface-mobile

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Thu Jul 27 11:26:50 PDT 2017

On 27/07/2017 19:36, John Griffiths wrote:
> I use the Subsurface mobile app for Android.
>
> There is an enhancement that would make it more useful in my opinion.
> Often, the name of the dive site is not given to or obtained by me until
> after the dive. I have to use some made up site name. It would be nice
> if a dive could be selected in the app to update the server.
>
> The sync button apparently is only server to app once a dive has been
> added in the app.
>
> If I want my log to be accurate, and I do, I have to delete the dive
> with the made up name and add the dive with the correct name.
>
> I just disabled "Upload new dives." That, I guess, will give me a work
> around so I can sync the dive after getting all the information.
>
> Thanks for your efforts. Great program and app.
>
> Regards,
> John
John,
The sync is really a hard sync, meaning that any changes that you make
to your dive log on the phone (even just the dive site name) is saved in
the cloud during sync. The  "manual sync with cloud" option will update
the dive log in the cloud with whatever you have changed.
A general procedure would be:
1) Select, from the dive list, the dive you wish to edit.
2) Tap the pencil icon at the bottom of the screen.
3) Edit whatever you wish to change.
4) Tap the disk button at the bottom of the screen to save the changes
locally.
In your details view, of the dive, the changes should now be possible.
This reflects the local dive log.
5) Go to "Dive management -> Manual sync with cloud"
This will save your changes to cloud. The system is sophisticated in the
sense it only saves your new changes to cloud, not a new and complete
copy of your local dive log. You can follow the conversation between
Android and the cloud server while your dive log is being updated on the
cloud. Try it out at email this list again if you have problems.
Kind regards,
willem