MXE and Qt 5.9.0

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Mon Jul 31 02:02:15 PDT 2017

Hi,

> On 31. Jul 2017, at 01:24, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>
> I will give this a try,
> The other thing that I was thinking about was "why do we need WebKit?"
> So part of the argument for keeping WebKit was that WebEngine can't be cross built on Windows.
> But then the question becomes, why do we need either?
>
> Right now we have two things that need this functionality: Facebook and Printing.
> The Facebook support really isn't all that complicated and it seems ridiculous to have a huge monstrosity like WebKit (27MB on Windows) as part of our binary for that. It's literally 20% of the size of our binary (btw: the second largest piece is icudt56 at 25MB... yikes)
> Printing is more complicated. I'm not quite sure how much we really need to have WebKit for that - I remember that you said earlier, Lubomir, that the layout code very much needs some WebKit functionality. But the question seems worth asking - what features do we actually need? What would it take to implement them differently?
>
> Because quite frankly, I think we'd be better off without needing either WebKit or WebEngine...

just a quick reminder of why besides the windows problem we currently cannot give up webkit in favour of webengine: The way page breaks are currently implemented in pricing uses webkit technology. This come from the fact that from its origin html (and its rendering) is not aware of page breaks. So we put more and more in a page until it flows over than roll back and print and continue. For the adding more and rolling back, we are accessing elements of the html syntax tree via tags. And those (“find me the next <p> element!”) are not available in web engine. In the documentation it says you are supposed to do such things in a javascript. Except so far, nobody has rewritten our logic in javascript (and I would have to learn that language before I could attempt that).

I agree that the one Facebook page that we need to display is so simple we could probably get away without an html renderer. But printing… once things got even worse, at some point, it might be easier to bundle TeX… (ahem).

Best
Robert

                      Scientific Coordinator
                      Phone: +49 89 2180-4523  Theresienstr. 39, rm. B339
                      http://www.atdotde.de

Enhance your privacy, use cryptography! My PGP keys have fingerprints
A9D1 A01D 13A5 31FA 6515  BB44 0820 367C 36BC 0C1D    and
DCED 37B6 251C 7861 270D  5613 95C7 9D32 9A8D 9B8F