Help installing Subsurface in Ubuntu?

Frank O'Donnell ssf at inkbox.net
Sun Jun 4 18:24:28 PDT 2017

Hi, I'm looking for help installing Subsurface under Ubuntu 16.04. One
of my primary interests is to build smtk2ssrf in order to convert older
Uwatec .slg files to XML. I have a general familiarity with Linux but am
completely new to working with distributions using packaging tools such
as PPA.

I've read over section 5.3.4 of the Subsurface 4.6 User Manual
("Importing Scubapro SmartTrak divelogs") and the section on Linux at
https://subsurface-divelog.org/download/. From the latter, on my Ubuntu
16.04 system I tried executing this line:

ppa:subsurface/subsurface

But I get an error:

bash: ppa:subsurface/subsurface: No such file or directory

Obviously there's some additional setup I need to do. Could I possibly
trouble you for a more detailed walkthrough of the steps I need to take
to install Subsurface and generate smtk2ssrf? Thanks much in advance.