Help installing Subsurface in Ubuntu?

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 19:57:34 PDT 2017

Hi Frank,

On 6 June 2017 at 00:38, Frank O'Donnell <ssf at inkbox.net> wrote:

> > Hi, I'm looking for help installing Subsurface under Ubuntu 16.04.
>
> Just an update to my last message. I successfully installed Subsurface and
> can run it, and have also installed the dependencies required for smtk2ssrf
> (libglib2.0 and libmdb2).
>
> Now, following the directions in the Subsurface 4.6 User Manual, I'm
> attempting to move to the source tree directory for Subsurface to build
> smtk2ssrf. The only issue is that I'm not able to find that directory.
>
> Using find, the only directories named subsurface I locate are
> /usr/share/subsurface and /usr/share/doc/subsurface. I'm not finding
> anything related to Subsurface under /usr/src or /usr/local/src.
>
> Is there something else I need to do to locate, or create, the source tree
> directory for Subsurface?
>
> With Subsurface (and software development generally), files can mostly be
classified as either "source" (what the developers write), and "binary"
(what your computer actually runs).  The source is "built" to create the
binary files, which are then made available to users such as through the
Ubuntu ppa.  If you installed Subsurface from the ppa, you will have
installed the binary package only.

The best way to obtain the source files is through the git repository,
following the instructions
https://subsurface-divelog.org/documentation/building/.  If you scroll down
the page it gives you the commands to type in Ubuntu and similar
distributions.  Those instructions build Subsurface, but not the SmartTrak
tool.  To do that (following the directions in the user manual), you first
need to install the *development* versions of libglib2.0 (I use Fedora but
I think the package is called libglib2.0-dev on Ubuntu) and libmdb2 (I
think mdbtools-dev), and configure with SMARTTRAK_IMPORT set on prior to
building.

Putting that all together...
Install prerequisites for Subsurface and the additional prerequisites for
the SmartTrak tool.

sudo apt-get install git g++ make autoconf libtool cmake pkg-config
        libxml2-dev libxslt1-dev libzip-dev libsqlite3-dev
        automake libusb-1.0-0-dev libgit2-dev libssl-dev
        qt5-default qt5-qmake qtchooser qttools5-dev-tools libqt5svg5-dev
        libqt5webkit5-dev libqt5qml5 libqt5quick5 libqt5declarative5
        qtscript5-dev libssh2-1-dev qttools5-dev
        qtpositioning5-dev qtconnectivity5-dev libglib2.0-dev mdbtools-dev

Get the sources for the latest stable version of Subsurface:

mkdir -p ~/src
cd ~/src
git clone  git://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface
cd subsurface
git checkout v4.6.4

Configure to build the SmartTrak tool
ccmake build
Scroll down to SMARTTRAK_IMPORT and hit enter to change to ON, then "c" to
configure, and "g" to save and exit

Build Subsurface and the SmartTrak tool

cd ..
./subsurface/scripts/build.sh

The build.sh script will download and build some extra prerequisites
before building Subsurface and the SmartTrak import tool.  It will
take a while.

To run the import tool, go to the build directory and run it.

cd subsurface/build
./smtk2ssrf

I hope that helps.  If that sounds too hard, I just built smtk2ssrf (on
Fedora) to make sure I could, so if you email me your file I'll happily
convert it.

Cheers,

Rick