Scubapro Galileo 2 (G2)

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Fri Jun 9 09:39:05 PDT 2017

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 4:58 AM, William Perry <wmperry at gmail.com> wrote:
> Several folks from the shop are diving them in Cozumel this week.   If you
> need tests run against a variety of dives (all recreational) I can borrow
> them and run whatever is necessary from mac or Linux.

The more testing, the merrier.

My pool dive only tested the very basics: it does have depth and
temperature data, but no events, no cylinder pressure, no heartrate
monitor etc.

That said, just the fact that all of that showed up on the very first
try (ok, blush, *second* try, because the first try I had entirely
missed filling in any model number at all) does imply that it very
much is the same protocol as the Galileo Sol, except just with a
different transport layer. So it probably gets most things right.

There might be real differences that show up much later - the Uwatec
Smart backend in libdivecomputer has a "GALILEO" vs "GALILEOTRIMIX"
model number and I might have expected the G2 to be the trimix version
because it supports it, but I'm not seeing any actual differences in
parsing between the two.

An maybe it has new events or warnings or whatever. And maybe I just
screwed up the downloading and it just happens to work for one dive
but will completely break immediately when there are more dives. But
on the whole I think that it should JustWork(tm).

But testing it is the only way.

I don't think that I'm going to actually push out my patch to the
official Subsurface libdivecomputer branch until it gets some more
testing than that one trivial pool-dive-on-a-string, so you do have to
build your own for now for testing.

After next week, I should have much more confidence whether it
actually *really* works,  and I'll push it out and maybe we'll have
daily builds that just work with the Scubapro G2 out of the box. But
in the meantime it's a "please test if you can".

                        Linus