Overthinking on Subsurface mobile app UX

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Mon Jun 19 08:41:14 PDT 2017

On 19/06/2017 17:24, Dirk Hohndel wrote:

> I have taken a stab and done a partial implementation of suggestion #3 above.
> And I must say, I really like the result - I'm curious what others think.
> Take a look at
> http://subsurface-divelog.org/downloads/test/Subsurface-mobile-4.6.4.209-arm.apk
> in order to see the latest dive list redesign (based heavily on Davide's
> ideas) in action...
>
> This is all pushed to master if you want to see the code :-)
>
> /D
>
> _
Dirk, fantastic.

Two points.

1) The dive location is shown at the top of the trip as well as for each
dive. Seeing that screen space is at a premium, is it really necessary
to indicate the location for each dive individually in addition to the
trip header? Surely the dive trip header location should be sufficient?
Now, there are possibly users who do not organise their dives into trips
and that would leave them without dive location data on the dive list.
But then it would be easy to see if this is the case and to decide
accordingly?

2) While I think that David's ideas are seminal, there is one thing I
would not agree with, and that is to put any icons to the left of each
dive item in the list (he uses CCR/OC/pSCR icons). The screen space is
just too valuable, even though such icons would colour up the screen.

It's amazing you doing these thing even while away from home.

Kind regards,
willem