Overthinking on Subsurface mobile app UX

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Jun 19 16:04:41 PDT 2017

> On Jun 20, 2017, at 12:41 AM, Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:
>
> Two points.
>
> 1) The dive location is shown at the top of the trip as well as for each dive. Seeing that screen space is at a premium, is it really necessary to indicate the location for each dive individually in addition to the trip header? Surely the dive trip header location should be sufficient? Now, there are possibly users who do not organise their dives into trips and that would leave them without dive location data on the dive list. But then it would be easy to see if this is the case and to decide accordingly?

That depends on how you log your dives.
For example, my last trip:
Trip location: Palau
Dive location: Blue Corner
Nothing redundant, instead I make good use of the way Subsurface shows trips :-)

> 2) While I think that David's ideas are seminal, there is one thing I would not agree with, and that is to put any icons to the left of each dive item in the list (he uses CCR/OC/pSCR icons). The screen space is just too valuable, even though such icons would colour up the screen.

I am not in favor of that idea, either. My theory is that the majority of divers (including myself) only ever has one type of dives. So this is an incredible waste of screen real estate.