Overthinking on Subsurface mobile app UX

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 16:52:45 PDT 2017

On 20 June 2017 at 11:09, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Jun 20, 2017, at 5:01 AM, Davide DB <dbdavide at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Il 19 giu 2017 5:24 PM, "Dirk Hohndel" <dirk at hohndel.org> ha scritto:
>
> Hi Davide,
>
> I have taken a stab and done a partial implementation of suggestion #3
> above.
> And I must say, I really like the result - I'm curious what others think.
> Take a look at
> http://subsurface-divelog.org/downloads/test/Subsurface-mobi
> le-4.6.4.209-arm.apk
> in order to see the latest dive list redesign (based heavily on Davide's
> ideas) in action...
>
> This is all pushed to master if you want to see the code :-)
>
> /D
>

> I really like it.
> Very good job. A different font on the trip title and it's nearly perfect
> for my taste.
>

> What font for the trip title? I made it a bit smaller - did I miss a
> suggestion on how to improve that?
>
> Thank you Davide with your great suggestion, and thank you Dirk for making
it happen.  With your implementation, my main reason for getting a working
Android build environment again is somewhat less important now (but I'll
keep trying) - the changing the dive list view font and text layout
appeared to be easiest UI improvement for the greatest benefit of all of
Davide's suggestions.

I think making the trip title smaller font would look better and waste less
space.  Maybe similar size as the dive site, but different colour, font,
italics, indentation or something like that?

I think the thicker line dividing trips would be better placed above the
title, rather than below it, so that it is then a dividing line rather than
underline.

I've attached a screenshot from my Galaxy S7, including with a fake dive
with a deliberately long name to see what it would look like.