Overthinking on Subsurface mobile app UX

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Tue Jun 20 21:52:58 PDT 2017

On 21/06/2017 01:25, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 03:36:38PM -0700, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 12:07:18AM +0200, Davide DB wrote:
>>> Please give us an apk to play with :)
>> Your wish is my command
>>
>> http://subsurface-divelog.org/downloads/test/Subsurface-mobile-4.6.4.224-arm.apk
> Make that
>
> http://subsurface-divelog.org/downloads/test/Subsurface-mobile-4.6.4.225-arm.apk
>
> With a different design based on Willem's and Linus' input...
>
> /D
Attached an image comparing the usual list layout with the latest one. A
few points:

1) The vertical space taken up for each dive is reduced in the new
layout. I love that.
2) Longer individual dive location descriptions without truncation in
the new version. I love that.
3) I tend to have long dive trip names. In the new version this is
truncated. See image. Would it be possible to have them in multiple
lines as in the usual list layout? (preferably using less vertical space
than in the usual layout).
4) The day-of-week information in the usual list layout is, I think,
very useful. It adds four characters to the second line of information
for each dive. I suspect this could be added to the new layout without
causing congestion on that line?
5) Whatever layout and colour scheme we change to, I think one should
keep in mind that one day we will be able to collapse the trips so that
only trip headers will be visible onscreen. We need a layout now that
will not need any re-design when we reach that stage.
6) I agree with Davide that the classic colour scheme would look more
native. But I really do not care too much about colours. It is the
functionality that matters.

Kind regards,
willem