Overthinking on Subsurface mobile app UX

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Jun 21 07:32:24 PDT 2017

> On Jun 21, 2017, at 02:11, Davide DB <dbdavide at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Following the latest apk by Dirk I tried to apply a classic material
> design palette. I played with:
>
> https://www.materialpalette.com/indigo/orange
>
> Just pick up two colors and you get an example. The idea behind
> material design is that you pick up a color or two colors and you
> create a palette with light and darker variations of them.
> Anyway... I resumed everything in the attached image.

So I have picked something but then ran out of brain function before I was able to finish my work (a 15 hour time zone shift where you work on a project for 8 hours during a 12 hour flight apparently can do that to you).

> PS
>
> What are those colored circles in each dive? A try of a photo dive list? >:->

It's my incompetent attempt to replace the bar that I had on the left side with something different that wasn't as visually dominant. The goal is to have in some way the color of the trip header repeat in those dives that are part of a trip.
Linus reacted rather abivalently to it as well, and I'm not sure I like it, either, but I was running out of ideas there for a moment. Just using indentation really didn't provide enough visual clue for my liking.

I'm definitely open to better suggestions.