Overthinking on Subsurface mobile app UX

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Jun 21 10:16:45 PDT 2017

> On Jun 21, 2017, at 7:45 AM, Davide DB <dbdavide at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 21 June 2017 at 16:32, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>>
>>> What are those colored circles in each dive? A try of a photo dive list? >:->
>>
>> It's my incompetent attempt to replace the bar that I had on the left side with something different that wasn't as visually dominant. The goal is to have in some way the color of the trip header repeat in those dives that are part of a trip.
>> Linus reacted rather abivalently to it as well, and I'm not sure I like it, either, but I was running out of ideas there for a moment. Just using indentation really didn't provide enough visual clue for my liking.
>>
>> I'm definitely open to better suggestions.
>
> I see.
>
> IMHO just try with a small change at the time. Sorry if I insist with
> colors but I think that a good palette is not a matter of mere
> aesthetic. A good color choice improve readability and usability.

I agree. Please look at

http://subsurface-divelog.org/downloads/test/Subsurface-mobile-4.6.4.230-arm.apk

for colors that I like. This also replaces the circles with thin vertical bars.
Maybe that will do the trick?

The title bar is taller now (I need to fix the white font and the spacing,
though).

Also, selected dive and trip should now be very easy to tell apart.

> Your latest attempt, except for the blue circles, was very near to my
> design. Try to just remove circles and change to proper color as in my
> latest example. Then we try live a new apk and we start from there. I
> think that the blue line closing dive trip group was a good idea. Just
> start from there.

Sorry, I did not do that because I found the colors you proposed just
too ugly. And I really want a CLEAR indicator that a dive is part of a
trip.

> Once we figure out how to fold the trip group we could find a better
> way to give it proper evidence.
> One idea could be just coloring trip dives of a very light gray color

That gets confusing with a selected dive.