New to libdivecomputer. Where do I begin?

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Jun 21 11:17:21 PDT 2017

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 10:43:16AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 11:41 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 01:27:00PM -0500, Ryan January wrote:
> >>
> >> Now that I know the correct path to follow I'll start looking through the subsurface source.  Is there a particular computer you could point me to as a good mass storage integration example?
> >
> > None of those currently parse binary files. So I'm not sure where to point
> > you.
>
> The Uemis Zurich also uses a fake USB storage back-end with odd file
> interfaces, and we do the parsing all inside subsurface.
>
> It's not pretty, but I think pointing Ryan towards the
> "do_uemis_import()" thing in core/downloadfromdcthread.cpp is
> reasonable.

Yes it is. And this is something that I wanted to discuss with Miika for a
while now (which is why I am now brutally moving this thread over to the
Subsurface mailing list):

How about we somehow shoe-horn the import of known data formats into our
download interface in a similar way? So that Ctrl-D gets you to a screen
that allows you to pick whatever dive computer you have, and then it
magically does the right thing? I.e., if you pick a dive computer where we
open files, we simply change the meaning of the device name text field
(just as we do for the Uemis).

This could of course be massively improved (it's a pretty old hack that I
did), but I think it's the right idea.