Overthinking on Subsurface mobile app UX

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Jun 21 12:55:25 PDT 2017

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 03:46:49PM -0400, James Cialdea wrote:

> The pink is surprisingly pleasant...  I tend to agree that there is
> something off about the blue scheme - maybe it isn't saturated enough.

Davide worked really hard to get me to use a better color scheme. I'll
post another APK in a minute with a fixed version of the blue color scheme
- but that will only change the color of a selected dive (that was the one
things that was wrong).

> The recent improvements are totally great.  The floating trip name is
> perfect.

That was a one line change - it's a QML feature.

> 2 things I might suggest:
> - In the trip header we see (# dive(s)).  For some reason, that nested
> paren really gets me, for some silly reason.  Maybe just go with the
> plural always to make localization easy, or pluralize correctly based
> on the number?

Yes, this needs to be correctly pluralized (is that a word)?

> - Since I haven't been specific about naming dive sites, most of my
> dive sites have the same name as the trip.  That makes the world map
> work fairly well, but it makes the dive list look very repetitive.
> Maybe the dive row shouldn't specify the site if the site name is the
> same as the trip name?

I don't want to add features based on the oddities of how people name
sites. I have long given up on trying to make this meet expectations. We
have people who want a taxonomy (dive location country, state, county,
city, ward, whatever). We have people who use the trip for the geographic
location and the location for the site name. We have people who repeat
every piece of information in the name of every location. I'm sure there
are four other variations. There is no way we will be able to make
everyone happy.

So I'll follow the Apple philosophy: Obviously, the way we present things
is magical, so if that doesn't work for you that means that you need to be
doing it wrong :-)

> I noted some discussion in the past (I think it was on this thread)
> about adding in the "dive type" (OC, CCR, FREE) to the dive list.  I
> think that could be valuable, especially for those preparing for
> certifications on different equipment.  Perhaps that could fit between
> the dive time and the dive number?  Perhaps there could be a setting
> to display it or not?

Again, something that a few people like, many others don't care about
(especially those of us for whom every single dive would get the same
marker). And adding configuration options makes things harder to use,
harder to document, and harder to test. So unless there is strong support
from a LOT of users, I don't think I'll add that.