Overthinking on Subsurface mobile app UX

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Jun 22 02:42:24 PDT 2017

> On Jun 22, 2017, at 1:14 AM, Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:
>
> On 22/06/2017 02:37, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> Just to keep our most likely longest thread ever going...
>>
>> Yet another new build is up. This one brings you
>> a) three color schemes. Blue (default), pink (for Linus), and dark (still
>> not perfect)
>> b) pull down the dive list to refresh / sync with the cloud server
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> /D
> The dive list has developed amazingly. Thank you, Dirk.
>
> Two points:
>
> 1) Any possibility to allow for multi-line dive trip titles? This would improve functionality of the app.

Yes, that's a possibility. I'll see if I can implement that.

> 2) The refresh/sync option. I think what you mean is that autosync happens when one pulls down the dive list beyond the topmost dive trip?

Actually, I call the equivalent of the menu item "Manual sync with cloud"

> But what if one accidentally pulls down the list without intending a sync? I did just that and autosync happened, even though I have autosync turned off. It is like some of the Microsoft applications that are trying to be too clever, doing something that the user did not intend. In general I have a strongly negative sentiment with respect to autosync. The reason is that I have on several occasions accidentally deleted a dive on the mobile application. It was then necessary to edit the lost dive on the desktop (so that git sees the dive again) and then to re-save the dive log from the desktop to the cloud in order to reinstate the deleted dive on the mobile app. Highly irritating. While I think that some users prefer auto sync, it is important to be able to have full control over the process of cloud backup from the mobile app. A solution could be:
> a) If autosync is turned off, NO autosync should take place anywhere.
> b) It would be incredibly helpful if there are options similar to the desktop version: Upload to cloud and download from cloud. These are unambiguous and give full control to the user so that unintended changes to dives are not saved to the cloud, messing up the backup of the dive log on cloud. This would improve the functionality of the app.

That is an interesting point. One way around this would be to finally
implement a UI to walk back the git history explicitly. Because nothing
is truly ever LOST.

In the meantime, an option in the menu to
a) turn of the pull down refresh for people who dislike it and
b) add an option "abandon local changes, re-open from server"

> My apologies if I come over strongly. This in no ways detracts from my immense gratefulness and compliments for the current upgrade to the dive list.

No, no, this is good. It's important that we don't get carried away
and end up  making it easy for divers to get frustrated.

Thanks