Overthinking on Subsurface mobile app UX

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Jun 22 07:38:39 PDT 2017

> On Jun 22, 2017, at 7:08 AM, Anton Lundin <glance at acc.umu.se> wrote:
>>
>> This restriction also removed all DCs that we can download from via USB.
>>

> That's all the serial devices. All of them can be used with a ftdi
> cable.

There are a ton of dive computers that do not use an FTDI cable.
I believe that the Heinrichs Weikamp devices are all FTDI, that
most Suunto download cables are FTDI (but not the EON Steel).
Oceanic / Aeris / Hollis, Tusa, Sherwood, and Aqualung should
all be FTDI.

Atomics Aquatics, Cressi, Mares, and Reefnet all are not FTDI.

> One thing we rather should do is try to be a bit more intelegent about
> which usb vid/pid's and name we see.
>
> If we see a usb product "HeinrichsWeikamp OSTC3" or "HeinrichsWeikamp
> OSTC 2N" we should propose the right things, but if we just see a
> generic ftdi device, we should show all of them, and let the user tell
> us what they have plugged in.

I look forward to patches for that. I'd also love to be able to use
all of this on my Pixel XL, but thanks to SELinux that may not be
happening.