Overthinking on Subsurface mobile app UX

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Jun 22 08:41:48 PDT 2017

> On Jun 22, 2017, at 8:02 AM, Anton Lundin <glance at acc.umu.se> wrote:

>>> That's all the serial devices. All of them can be used with a ftdi
>>> cable.
>>
>> There are a ton of dive computers that do not use an FTDI cable.
>> I believe that the Heinrichs Weikamp devices are all FTDI, that
>> most Suunto download cables are FTDI (but not the EON Steel).
>
> Btw. The EON Steel should work, as is. Would be fun to see any one try.

If I could get this to work on my Pixel I would...

>> Oceanic / Aeris / Hollis, Tusa, Sherwood, and Aqualung should
>> all be FTDI.
>>
>> Atomics Aquatics, Cressi, Mares, and Reefnet all are not FTDI.
>
> If you have a _real_ serial cable you just need a usb-ftdi-to _real_
> serial and you can use it with Subsurface on android.
>
> ex: https://reefnet.ca/products/sensus/tour/photo/

The newer ones like the Sensus Ultra come with a USB cable that is
not FTDI based according to my information.

>>> One thing we rather should do is try to be a bit more intelegent about
>>> which usb vid/pid's and name we see.
>>>
>>> If we see a usb product "HeinrichsWeikamp OSTC3" or "HeinrichsWeikamp
>>> OSTC 2N" we should propose the right things, but if we just see a
>>> generic ftdi device, we should show all of them, and let the user tell
>>> us what they have plugged in.
>>
>> I look forward to patches for that. I'd also love to be able to use
>> all of this on my Pixel XL, but thanks to SELinux that may not be
>> happening.
>
> libusb probably just needs a bit more patching. Probably nothing to
> major. I or someone else just needs a bit time to get around to it.

That's the problem, isn't it. Time. I am some 60 commits into
Subsurface-mobile these past two weeks.

I'd love to see someone tackle this problem.

Thanks