proposed changes to libdc

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Thu Jun 22 22:22:54 PDT 2017

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 9:52 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> I'm proposing to fix this to make this actually useful.

[ snip snip ]

Looks superficially sane to me.

.. except to be useful, most of those transports should also describe
the "device pattern" so that you can actually do sane things.

For example, DC_TRANSPORT_USB_HID on its own is *not* very useful knowledge.

But DC_TRANSPORT_USB_HID, *together* with the USB vendor/device ID
information, would be very useful indeed.

Similarly, DC_TRANSPORT_{BT,BLE} is not very useful on its own, but if
it comes with a way to match the actual devices in question, it would
make a huge difference.

For BLE, we *may* end up wanting secondary information too (ie it may
turn out that we'd want to have an enumeration of the UUID's for the
sending/receiving service for that dive computer. I'm not entirely
sure of that yet, but it may be that we'll need per-backend knowledge
like that to make a "generic" GATT interface work.

             Linus